Yesterday I attended my cousins baby shower and while this has nothing to do with her shower in particular, it reminded me just how much I dislike them.
Honestly, I hate baby showers.
I don't mind celebrating with you, I simply dislike the way people have organized them. Although, in recent years I've been to a few that have evolved into straight up parties with both women and men in attendance and sometimes I wondered what we were really celebrating! But those aren't the showers I speak of.
So here is a list of reasons why I dislike going to baby showers, in no particular order;
1. They are scheduled in the mid-afternoon to late evening on my good Sunday.
2. It's awkward when you arrive and the people that were there before you are sitting down all in a row watching as each person walks through the door.
|Baby Shower games|
4. There is no alcohol served because obviously I must suffer along with the mommy-to-be. Unfair.
5. Must we really sit around and watch you open your gifts?
6. While we sit around watching you open your gifts for your new crumbsnatcher, must we subject ourselves to the chanting of "Ooooh, Ahhhhh, that's niiiiiice!" for each and every single gift???
**please someone bring me a drink!**
|Baby Shower Decor, picture courtesy of seshamo.com|
8. The mommy-to-be ALWAYS shows up at least an hour late. People, let's stop making these showers a surprise.
9. The baby shower decor.
10. Please, pretty please do not tie the styrofoam plate filled with bows around her stomach or head!
We are in 2014, why are we still doing these things?
Do you enjoy going to baby showers of this nature? How would you change this event to make it enjoyable for all?