Homework...thanks, but no thanks!

Don't you think kids are getting far too much homework these days?  Gone are the days when children can be just that, children!  My 4 yr old is not even in grade 1 yet and the amount of homework she gets is crazy (at least to me).  My 14 yr old daughter is pretty much hankered down with homework for the entire night.

The sad thing is, if they don't keep up then your children are left behind because the standards have risen so dramatically globally that in order to give your children a fighting chance to compete on the world's stage you have no choice but to start teaching them how to read as soon as they exit the womb!  I thought you learnt how to read in grade 1, but I guess I was wrong.  It's crazy how things have shifted in such a short amount of time.  And then we have the whole "My baby can read" epidemic that now teaches 8 and 9 month old BABIES how to recognize words and to get them well on their way to reading.  It's  absolutely ridiculous.  Do people honestly feel proud at the fact that their 11 month old can read? I look at people weird when they tell me "Oh my baby has been reading since she was 9 months!" I look at them weird because I think to myself, what kind of parent are you?!  Anyway, that's another story.

So Asia comes home with 4 pages of homework.  On one of the pages, it instructs her to read the word, draw a picture and colour it.  OK, I'm sorry, excuse me?!  Does my 4 yr old even know how to draw a mug? A cap? A PIG? And the list goes on!  Goodness gracious, we will be here all night, because halfway through my daughter will insist her hand is laughing (tingling and tired) from all the work and just cannot continue (hand on forehead)!  But like a good parent I must get her to finish her homework or...hmmmm...I'm not sure what will happen if she didn't but I really don't want to find out.  Ahhhhhh! 

I hate homework.

Signed, 
Wish me Luck Candilaria


No comments: