In the Words of Betty White

Today I was and about doing the usual Saturday errands, but today I had my baby daughter with me and she kept asking for Dunkin Donuts.  So because she had been such a good girl (in the words of Asia, "I did not cry, not one single drop!") during her entrance exam for grade 1, I decided that she deserved a treat - I think it was more for myself to calm down because I was more nervous and terrified than she was!


While at Dunkin Donuts (The College of The Bahamas' location), we moseyed on over to the college bookstore .  Asia picked out 2 books and while I browsed the store I stumbled onto "If You Ask Me (And of Course You Won't)" by Betty White.  I've always been a huge fan of hers, of course largely due to the Golden Girls television series but also because I always thought she would be such an awesome person to have in your life, so incredibly witty, funny, and filled with experience and a wealth of knowledge. (Did any of you realize she was actually the eldest member of the Golden Girls cast? Nope. Not Estelle, Dorothy's mother as you would believe, it was Betty White!). 


In the first Chapter, entitled "Growing Older", the opening sentence is "Old age isn't for sissies." Funny yet so true.  So going back to my post the other day and about turning 30 and not knowing where my career is headed or finding my passion, I cracked up when I read it.  I knew right away I would love this book.  I finished it in 2 hours (I was interrupted by my kids..lol).  There was also a Chapter called "Enthusiasm" and could you guess what the first sentence of that chapter was?? "I think everybody needs a passion." HA.  Is Betty White speaking to me? It goes on to say the following:


"Whether it's one passion or a hundred, that's what keeps life interesting.
If you live without passion, you can go through life without leaving any footprints. You might leave behind pleasant memories in the minds of friends and acquaintances, but those dissipate quickly."

Wow.  When I read this I was immediately taken back to comments made by my father.  I recently announced that I wanted to enroll into an upholstery class, and my father said "Oh goodness Candi, not another class!"  Although the comment stung a bit, because I knew the place it was coming from, like any parent he wants me to find something in this life and I guess settle into it. I've been told that I have no "stickability".  I prefer to describe myself as a Jane of all trades.  Again, I am good at a lot of things and I am constantly undergoing new and different adventures.  So I gathered some comfort from Betty's comments implying that you don't HAVE to have ONE passion but you can have many!

I am no dummy, and while it may appear to persons on the outside that I may not know what I would like to do, I feel that all the many different classes I have/am engaged in are ingredients for something that I am being prepared for.  I am on the path.  Just you wait and see...

Signed 
Candilaria

No comments: